Monday, August 27, 2007

Our Tinseltown Weekend

WARNING: This post has a lot of writing. It will start to sound like a journal entry. If you don't care about the details, skip ahead to the pictures!

We spent this last weekend living out my dream weekend. We left for Los Angeles on Thursday morning. When we got there we went and checked out the Greek Theater (where Michael Buble was playing that night) to see if it was within walking distance of our hotel. It wasn't, it was about 2.3 miles, and way up in the wilderness. We decided to take the bus for 2 reasons, 1- Jason hates paying for parking (sometimes it can be a little ridiculous the lengths he goes to, but everyone has their quirks) and 2- we were pretty sure getting out of there would be hellish. So we rode the bus, it worked out great on the way there. We both thoroughly enjoyed the concert. Especially me, my crush on Michael Buble is now bigger than ever (don't worry I think Jason understands after seeing him). He is so charismatic!! I mean he was almost as entertaining when he wasn't singing as he was when he was. Which made the entire show totally fun. When it was over Jason looked at me and said "Wow it is already over, that went by quick". I guess the old saying "time flies when your having fun" is true. Needless to say I will make every effort to attend future Michael Buble concerts, and I suggest you all do the same! Ok back to the transportation saga. As we were walking down to the bus stop Jason mentions that he just saw one go by and that they only come every half hour this late at night, so we decide to start walking to the next stop. Long story short we never caught the bus and ended up walking the 2.3 miles back to our hotel at 11:30pm in Los Angeles and I was not wearing anything that even resembled walking shoes. It wasn't really the ideal ending to our wonderful night but oh well, we got some exercise.

Friday we got up and were planning on doing a session at the Los Angeles temple. Those plans were thwarted when I called to get the session times and found out the temple is closed for cleaning. We were really bummed. We try to attend the temple whenever we are away on vacation in an attempt to maybe someday visit half of the beautiful temples on the earth. We decided to go see the temple anyway. It was beautiful, and big, really big. After that we walked around Rodeo Drive and to my disappointment we didn't see any celebrities:( We then headed up to Beverly Hills to admire all the ginormous (my new favorite word) homes. I was looking at a website yesterday that had the addresses of celebrities and we were on some of the roads that they live on we just didn't know it. We stopped on Sunset Blvd and ate at Frankie and Johnnie's Pizza, it was delicious. They had celebrities signatures all over the walls, kinda cool. Then we went back to our hotel, watched a movie, got ready and went back out. We walked along Hollywood Blvd to Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Kodak Theater (were they have the Emmy's and various other award shows). I must admit I have a little bit of a fascination with old hollywood. You know the Frank Sinatra, Ava Gardner, Lana Turner hollywood. It was neat to see their hand and footprints in the cement and imagine them on the red carpet at their movie premieres. Anyway after that we headed to the Pantages theater and saw WICKED!!!! It was amazing, everything I hoped it would be and more. Jason liked it as well, in fact we had Wicked in our heads the rest of the weekend. I thought I would be disappointed because I have always wanted to see the original cast but I wasn't. This cast was great, many of them did perform their roles on Broadway, just not in the original cast. I would highly recommend this play for anyone who likes theater. Get the soundtrack first so you can sing along in your head.

Instead of staying Saturday night in LA, like we had planned, we picked a town along the coast and stayed there. We ended up in Morro Bay, a very cute little town on the ocean. It took us quite awhile to drive there since it is along Highway 1, which is right along the ocean, very scenic. We checked in, got some recommendations for dinner, actually it was more like Linner because we were starving and it was only 3:30pm. We ate at the Great American Fish Company. We enjoyed our table as much as the dinner. It was a window seat in the corner so we could see outside all around us. After that we walked around the little shops along the water. We went to the grocery store and got things for a picnic on Sunday. Came back and watched a movie. Very nice relaxing evening. Sunday we went to church. Then had our picnic on the beach. Then headed back. We opted to continue on highway 1, which in hindsight was probably not the best idea. We left around 2pm and didn't get home until about 6:30pm. It was a beautiful drive, but it took considerably longer. Overall we had a delightful weekend. The perfect end to our summer.


Los Angeles here we come
The Greek Theater, what an amazing venue!
Don't we make a fine pair!!
But I think I look better with this guy
Jason enjoying the show, can you see the trees in the background, we were seriously in the wilderness
Jason at the LA temple
Me on Rodeo Drive
Jason was obsessed with the old school Beverly Hills sign
WICKED!!! I was very excited!
Jason at the Kodak Theater
Jason with the Hollywood sign, if you look really hard you can see it
Jason and I at the Great American Fish Company
Jason and I in Morro Bay with the pretty boats
Me, excited for the picnic
Jason and the ocean
Jason and our spread

4 comments:

The Evers said...

Your DREAM weekend! I thought it was coming up, I did not realize it was already here!!! I am jealous of your fun life! You guys do and see more then anyone I know! Live it up! I am so glad Michael Buble was everything you had hoped! Maybe next time the four of us will have to all go! Your weekend looked amazing! The beach pictures were so cute, and it looks romantic! Okay, my mom came down and wants to see your pics now too! Love you and miss you so much!

Lance and Becky said...

I'm so glad you had so much fun! I really like Michael Buble, how fun is that! We love you guys, and we sure miss you!

Stacie said...

Well, sounds like you had a fantastic trip! I'm glad it's finally over so now you'll stop talking about it! jk! I like the picture looking down at you on the beach.

Nicole said...

L.A., beaches, temple, Michael Buble, & Wicked. Ginny, you just lived MY dream weekend!! sigh. Someday I will do it all...probably AK (after kids) haha. I agree with Kelly: Live it UP!! You are awesome!