Monday, May 04, 2009

Wildflower 2009

This weekend Jason participated in the Wildflower triathlon. He did the Long Course (Half Ironman), which is a 1.2 mile swim, followed by a 56 mile bike ride, and then a 13.1 mile run. He did so awesome. His lofty goal was 6 hours and he came in just under that. He has trained so hard and I am so proud of him. I also think this has alleviated his desire to do a full Ironman anytime in the near future.

Jason had lots of supporters. His mom, my mom, and my little sister joined us for the weekend. The triathlon was at Lake San Antonio, which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The closest town is about an hour away, so everyone who comes camps out. We rented an RV, which was so fun. We got there Friday afternoon and left Sunday afternoon. Jason's tri was on Saturday. Since we were so close to Cal Poly there were lots of young, crazy people around, which made for a good atmosphere. On Saturday after the race a large group of Cal Poly students (both male and female) participated in the "Naked Run" around the campgrounds. I think the name of the run pretty much sums it up, needless to say we had a lot of fun watching that! I will refrain from posting pictures (because you KNOW I have pictures) ;-).

Ollie and I outside the RV getting ready to cheer on Jason
Jason (waving) just out of the lake heading up the ramp to transition to the bike ride
Starting the bike portion of the race
We were able to see Jason get into the water, and then we waited the 35 minutes or so it took him to do the swim portion and then we were able to see him start the bike ride. After that we headed back to camp, Ollie took a nap, we ate lunch and made Jason some posters. It was really fun because our campground was on the running course around the 8th mile. So we were able to watch and wait for Jason to come by. After that we headed back down to the finish line just in time to see him finish. We actually saw him a lot considering how long the race was, I didn't expect to see him as much as we usually do.
This is us walking back to the finish line with our posters, with the beautiful lake in the background. Let me just say the "walk" to and from the event to our campground was INTENSE!! And doing it with an additional 20 lbs of extra weight on the front of me was tough. It was good to get some exercise and I can't complain too much because Jason had to bike and run this same hill during the race.
Jason coming through the finish chute, he looks pretty good considering what he had just been through!
So proud of my husband!
Ollie was more interested in eating the poster than holding it up for his dad.
All of us, notice that Jason is the only guy (besides Ollie). Our dads were suppose to come but it didn't end up working out, so here is Jason and his women.
Hanging out, enjoying the perfect weather
Ollie decided to venture away from the group, he loved being outside getting dirty, and I just let him, I mean we were camping (sort of)
Apparently this book is riveting, Letty finished the whole thing over the weekend
Family picture during dinner, Ollie just went from person to person begging for food
Me, Letty and Mom

Jason enjoying one of the many booths
Ollies outfits says "Future Triathlete"
Our Moms
Me and my Mom
Watching the finishers of the Olympic distance race that was held on Sunday
Happy boys enjoying the sunshine
We had such a good weekend. Jason has felt really good after the race. I am just so amazed by him, he did such a great job. I'll let everyone know when the next one is in case anyone wants to come cheer him on, we always have lots of fun!!

8 comments:

Lori said...

How awesome, way to go jason!!! That last pic of him and ollie is TOOOO cute!

bren said...

I like the picture of Ollie eating the sign! And are you serious about the naked run? I guess I'm outta the loop cuz ive never heard of anything like it. Hmm, sounds interesting.

Megan said...

very cool. looks like a lot of fun. Ollie is getting soooo big!

Jenn said...

That is amazing. I don't often comment but I have to say, I am so impressed. The Naked Run sounds like a fun time, though I do think the sports bra was invented for a reason;)

Megan said...

Great job Jason!(crazy man ;) The RV looks like a lot of fun. Ollie is adorable!

Jessica Martiele said...

Congrats to Jason! (BIG TIME!!!)

3 things: 1) You guys have inspired me to look into renting an RV! Sweet! 2) I can't get over how young your mom looks; seriously, she looks like an older sister in all your photos...and even in person!!! 3) Block out body parts, but DO post a couple Naked Run photos, won't you? Just the thought makes my soda almost come out of my nose!

nathan said...

man he is amazing. way to go Jason!

SHO'NUF said...

ST GEORGE IRONMAN!!!! (that should be the next one...) Good Job Jason, very impressive, and way too quick for my blood...