Monday, September 01, 2008

Monterey Bay Aquarium

On Saturday we took Ollie on his first trip to Monterey.  We went with our new friends Jami and Layne and their adorable kids. It was crazy busy at the aquarium because of the holiday weekend, but it was still really fun. While in Monterey we stopped at Ghiradelli's for some decadent sundaes and then on the way home we stopped in Gilroy for some delicious In N' Out. Ollie was great, he pretty much slept the whole time, we were worried he wouldn't sleep that night but true to his style he slept for a 7 hour stretch. I love that kid! Last night he slept for 9 hours. While the nights have been great he has had a rough time during the days. He needs lots of attention and cuddling to be happy, which can be really draining at times. Luckily Jason has been home to help.  I don't know if he has a tummy ache or what but it is really sad and I hate to hear him cry.  If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.  

Oh and as if I haven't had enough health problems lately, I went and got mastitis. If you don't know what that is I will let you look it up, but it basically consists of some serious tenderness of the breasts, a wicked fever, extreme malaise (tiredness), and for me a serious headache. So I have basically spent Sunday and most of the day so far in bed resting. I called the Dr. and got some antibiotics yesterday so hopefully I will be feeling better really soon. I am trying everything to keep my milk from drying up, which also really stinks. So any suggestions about mastitis would be greatly appreciated. I swear I am not a sick person, but lately it is one thing after another.  I decided my body prefers to be pregnant, since my pregnancy was perfect and everything since the birth has been less than perfect.  
  
Me and Jami and her cute twins
Jason is such a cute dad, I love him!
How cool are these jellyfish...the jellyfish were our favorite
Me and my sweet baby
So we took the majority of our pictures with the jellyfish...we are dorks
Ollie with the ladies
At In N' Out, thanks honey for catching me mid-chew
I was trying to keep him warm, hence the burp cloth on his head
Ok I took this picture with my computer's camera and sent it to Jason while we were chatting, I just love his little baseball bum...so cute!

17 comments:

darcie said...

shuuuuuut uuuuup! 9 hours?! go ollie! that's awesome. adam was just at the monterey aquarium too. exactly one week ago. timing was a little off...

Lori said...

Addie was a great night sleeper at that age too, then she learned that there is a fun world around her in which to play lol.

During the days, I recommend not letting ollie be up for longer than an hour and 15 minutes or so. Addie used to be awake (if you can call it that) for up to 5 hours at a time and was much more needy. She also needed to nurse to fall asleep and wouldnt do so in her crib. Then i read more about baby schedules and realized that she needed to be put down for naps at an hour and 15 minutes, then fed right when she wakes up. This made a night and day difference! She's been the happiest, most unneedy baby ever since!

Anonymous said...

Wow...jealous about the sleeping through the night that early. Jon is just now sleeping about 9 hours straight at 5 months old! We had to let him cry it out just to get a stretch longer than 5. Good luck with mastitis. I didn't take care of it as soon as I should have so that's where breastfeeding ended for me. PS: Looks like he may be getting Jason's blue eyes!

Lance and Becky said...

Oh, I love his little baseball butt! Soooo cute! Love the pictures, and you look fantastic Ginny!

Kristen S said...

Wow I'm amazed that you're still breastfeeding at all, with all you've been through. As for the neediness during the day, my experience was the more I held my babies, the more needy they were...which is hard, since you want to hold and snuggle them. Just not all day long!! I would put him in his crib right after you feed him, whether he is asleep or not, and let him learn to self-sooth himself to sleep. Sounds like he's doing fine at night though, that's awesome that you can get a whole night's sleep already!!

Erin said...

I love the baseball outfit! So cute! And Monterey is one of my most favorite places!

The Evers said...

OH VIRGINIA! MASTITIS???? Now I thought I told you to not get that! I am so sorry and have truly known the pain! I am sorry you have had a rough go at things! I also know they get better :) I cant wait to see you! We are getting tickets tomorrow. I hope Monterey prepared you for our funtastic time there in a few weeks! I love that aquarium, and fun that you are meeting new friends! I am dying to get my hands on that little baseball butt-wait that sounds perverted, you know what I mean!!!!

bren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bren said...

It was funny to see a picture of my cousin on your blog! Both of you have been close people in my life, only in two totally separate worlds. Your trip looks fun. Oliver is already getting bigger. His features really remind me of you, but then some of Jason's. Whoever he looks like, he's a cute baby!

ixoj said...

Mastitis?! That's dreadful!! Based on my limited knowledge about it (because I've only dealt with it in cows), you have every right to be ready for your body to start treating you better! I hope you get well soon!!

~Ashley Dawn Photography~ said...

HOw fun! I woulddn't mind going there. Looks fun! :)

And way to go on the chocolate! :) Gotta love that! :) (and the in and out...)

I hope my kids sleep all night. That would be awesome:)

ashley marie said...

well I hope that someday you start feeling better! When my little guy was cranky and hard to feed during the day I talked to my pedia and he said he had acid reflux and was put on medicine (which helped with all the spitting up too). Anyway, every kid is different so take that info for what it's worth. If I get mastitis I think I will perform an at home mastectomy -- no joke.
I love his little baseball outfit!!

kaysi van dyke fox said...

i love the pictures. ollie is soo cute and he sleeps nine hours!!! wow, is he the perfect baby or what?!?! :) haha. such a cute family!!!

Tammy said...

Wow...it looks like you have a wonder baby! I am sorry to hear about your health issues. I forgot the name of it...sorry. But I don't know any cures for that. Hopefully you start feeling like your old pregnant self...and I will let you know when I have any funny stories/experiences, I am sure they will come soon. :)

Taryn said...

Those jelly fish are amazing!

You look great, Ginny, and can't believe all that you've gone through post pregnancy. Oliver's little baseball butt is the cutest thing!!

I've heard that gripe water works well for gas/tummy aches, but I never actually tried it.

Amanda Hardman said...

we have that same baseball outfit...it was one of my favorites!!
great job on the 9 hours...wow, the most simon has done is 8 hours and it was only 2 times!!! that's great! as for during the day...if he does have a tummy ache, my mom would always put her kids on our tummy laying across her legs. it might not work..but it's worth a try!

Osborne Family said...

K that is sooo cute... There is a baseball on his little bum!!! Ginny your a cute little mom:)