Monday, July 07, 2008

Fourth of July and more!

Our fourth of July was not very exciting this year.  We basically spent the entire day unpacking all of our boxes from the move, a service that the movers would have provided but I wasn't prepared to tell the movers where I wanted everything, I just wanted them to drop it off and let me deal with it, weird I know.  Anyway, we didn't watch a parade or go to any BBQ's, but I insisted that we watch fireworks, seriously, the fourth without fireworks????  So Jason stopped some random people in our complex and asked them where good fireworks were.  They said the best were in Mountain View at the Shoreline Amphitheater.  I jumped online and found that it is a concert by the San Francisco Symphony with huge fireworks/symphonic show at the end.  Tickets ranged from $25-75 a piece and the show started at 8pm and it was currently 7:30pm.  In a last ditch effort I jumped on Craigslist (oh how I love Craigslist) and found tickets for $15 each, I called the lady and offered her $20 for the pair, she accepted.  We picked them up and (after a quick 1/2-1 mile walk, which was really fun being 9 months pregnant :) by 8:30pm we were set up in our lawn chairs enjoying the show.  The fireworks were awesome and I loved the symphony playing patriotic music during the show.  We only have one (in my opinion disgusting) picture but here you go.  


An update on the rest of our lives.  We are almost completely moved in.  The couch people accidently brought us two different color couches (they are barely different), so that should be taken care of today, along with our coffee and end tables.  We are still waiting for our mattress and recliner.  And now all we need is an entertainment center.  We spent a good deal of time, and money, at Costco on Saturday purchasing an Aerobed (that means you should come visit us), lamps, an LCD HDTV, and an up-converting DVD player, not to mention lots of groceries, I almost cried when we got to the register, but we knew it would be this way at first. 

Update on boards:  I thought I had found a patient on Thursday.  Out here lots of Mexicans, hang out outside Home Depot hoping for work each day.  In a last ditch effort to find a patient I showed up Thursday with flyers explaining my needs and leaving my phone number.  There were probably about 30 of them and they were all VERY interested (at the time).  But having dealt with people like this I knew I had to act right then or I may never hear from them, so I laid the seat back in my car and performed 4 screenings (I only had enough instruments for 4, about 15 more people wanted to be screened).  I thought I found 2 that might work, so I had Jason call the younger of the two (calculus is easier to get off younger people) and explain the situation.  He was game (after all I am paying $250).  So today I brought him into the office of a dentist in our new ward (we became fast friends), and took x-rays, unfortunately the calculus I had felt was not as heavy as I would have liked so I don't think he will work.  So I have 4 days to find another patient.  I know if I go back to Home Depot I could find another one, I just really wanted this guy to work out.  Oh well. 

Lastly, I had my 37 week appointment today.  I am now going in every week.  My cervix is softening, so that is good, and I am almost 1 cm dilated.  Things have progressed since my last appointment, but we still have time, thank goodness.  I am getting anxious to meet and hold our little guy, I am just really stressed about the whole birthing part...wish me luck!!

One last picture I forgot to post last time. Yes we really are this ghetto. We bought our bed frame from IKEA, and since we no longer have our ugly, but awesome rental car which was able to carry lots of big things, and we didn't want to pay IKEA $80 to deliver it...my genius husband ran across the street to Home Depot and configured this get up.  We got some looks, but it worked.  I am so lucky to have such a creative and handy husband. 

10 comments:

Dan and Ashley said...

Hey Guys! Sounds like you are really getting settled in! Glad you had a good 4th the concert sounds like so much fun! Good luck finding a patient Gin, I'm sure it will all work out. Can't wait for baby boy to get here! I'll probably be checking your blog everyday waiting for the news. :) You look amazing by the way Gin, seriously, can't believe yo are 37 weeks! Miss you guys!

ixoj said...

Good luck finding a patient. And don't worry about the birthing part- you'll be great!! And I can't wait to see pictures of all your beautiful IKEA stuff...oh how I love IKEA!

~Ashley Dawn Photography~ said...

THat would be an AWESOME 4th of July show!! How fun!! :)

Sounds like youa re getting everything just right :)

I am the same way I wouldn't want people unpacking my stuff.

Well hope you find someone!

Jeff Brown said...

I love that you used your car as a dental chair... ingenious!!! I am praying for you and your little guy.

Shelley

Nicole said...

Sounds like you guys are BUSY BUSY BUSY!!! Good luck with everything. You look absolutely amazing Ginny. Seriously. I'm a little jealous. :) Good luck with everything...i'll be checking in often to see when this little kiddo gets here. :)
GOod luck with the unpacking too.
love ya
oh and the bikes: so cool!!!! I want one of those bike trailers for the boys SO BAD (you know, one that's a jogger too...so pricey, ug!)....but first we have to get bikes.

bren said...

Cute maternity shirt!! (that pic. isn't disgusting either) I bet that's a lot of fun getting all kinds of stuff for your new apartment. Hope you have everything in order when the baby comes!

Tammy said...

I laughed at the picture of the bed frame on Roxy because Alejandro would do the same thing. Who wants to pay an extra $80?? Anyway...it sounds like the fireworks show was pretty cool, the one in Rexburg was kinda crappy. I am just used to the quality of Lincoln fireworks! :)

Alicia said...

Good luck with boards! Time is gonna fly by so fast and before you know it, baby Miller is going to be here!

Lori said...

Holy cats, i can't believe you're at 37 weeks already- that's fantastic!!! I will be sending you tons of good labor vibes in the coming weeks. Hooray for baby boy miller!
Sounds like you had a great fourth, i'm glad you made it to that show.

Jessica Martiele said...

I wish I had something wise to say to quell your birthing fears, but I had 2 c-sections, so I got nothing. :) Seriously, though, I'm sure (though it won't be the most thrilling experience of your life) it'll be the most worth-it thing you've ever done. Oh, and epidurals? They ROCK! (And don't hurt virtually at all going in, and don't cause anything near the problems that people like to perpetuate as rumors.) Congrats on 3 weeks left, and best of luck getting everything organized and you two settled in and a patient located and...everything!...before Baby Boy arrives!