Wednesday, October 07, 2009

San Luis Obispo

This weekend Jason participated in the Scott Tinley Triathlon in San Luis Obispo. Jason's sister Jenny and her husband Jeff came out from Utah to hang out with us and support Jason. It was so fun having them here. Ollie loved all the attention he got from Aunt Jen and Uncle Jeff. We left Friday afternoon after having lunch at Apple. The drive down was long (with a 14 month old anything over an hour is long), and uneventful. We didn't do much that evening, just checked in and put Ollie to bed. Saturday Jason, Jeff, Ollie, and I left early for the triathlon. We dropped Jason off and hung around to watch him start the swim, and then transition to the bike. After that we left and came back for the finish...which we actually missed. It was a fast course and the distances (1.5mile swim, 50mile bike, 9 mile run) on this triathlon were a little different than the others so Jason finished quite a bit faster (4hr 55min) than he usually does. I felt really bad that he finished with no one there cheering him on, but he assured us he wasn't mad.

Isn't Ollie's hat cute!!  My friend Nicole makes them, check them out here.



After the triathlon we went back to our hotel, put Ollie down for a nap, and napped a little ourselves, then we met up with some friends from our Provo days at the Firestone Grill in downtown San Luis. It was pretty delicious food, and it was really fun catching up with the Smiths.

All of us at Firestone Grill.


Ollie discovered himself in this mirror and had tons of fun yelling and making faces.


He also liked sitting in the sink at our hotel, and trying to eat the faucet.

Sunday morning we watched the morning session of conference, then headed to Pismo Beach, where we walked around the beach and the pier. We stopped for lunch and then headed to Hearst Castle.


Ollie loves to swing and luckily for him there was a swing set on the beach.


Family pic.


Jen and Jeff being silly.


Family pic on the pier.


Jen and Jeff on the pier.


Ollie really likes Jeff, they were buddies.

A couple years ago we stayed on the coast and passed the Hearst Castle. We have wanted to tour it ever since. It is seriously the coolest place. You can read all about it here: Hearst Castle


An aerial view I found of the castle.


Jen and Jeff in front of one of the guest houses...it would have been fun to be a guest there.


Ollie got carried around in a backpack...no strollers.


This is a pic of the outdoor pool, it was amazing.


Jen and Jeff with the pool.


Us in front of the actual castle.


This is the indoor pool. All the gold you see is real 24 carat gold flakes.

After our tour we headed home, which took even longer this time because we had to take Highway 1 all the way. It is a beautiful drive but very windy, so between the slow speed and the frequent stops for those who get motion sickness (poor Jen) it takes a while. On Monday Jeff, Jen, Ollie and I visited the Winchester Mystery House here in San Jose. This place was also very interesting. Our friend use to be a tour guide and she believes it really is haunted. One thing is for sure, Sarah Winchester had issues. We walked around a did a little shopping, then headed home for dinner and games. We miss living close to Jason's siblings so it was fun to spend time with Jen and Jeff. Thanks for coming guys!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow! What an awesome weekend. I am so impressed by all of your triathon-ing/5,10king. Seriously, you guys are so cool. :) Ollie looks so adorable in his cap. I hope I didn't make it too big...I wanted it to fit for awhile! Thanks for the plug.
How fun to see the Smiths!!
And all the tours you went on look amazing. I probably would have been creeped out by the mystery house, but Hearst Castle..wow!

The1stdaughter said...

I am so glad you guys had a great time and really happy we were able to catch up with you. Alan was so happy to talk with Jason, it was nice to have someone who really knows what to look for.

Make sure to let us know if you are coming through again and we'll do the same!

bren said...

I don't know what a good tri-athlon time is but I think if you can do it, then that is good no matter the time! So nice job Jason. That really looked like a fun weekend. It made me excited to be in CA again. And I am excited to actually get to know Ollie better and have our kids play. He is looking so old now btw. Maybe it's his haircut or something. Anyway, see you soon hopefully!

Lori said...

Congrats to Jason, that's so cool he did so well. You got some way cute pics at the beach too. I remember going to the winchester house on one of my vacations to cali growing up... it was definitely weird!

Tammy said...

Looks like little Ollie had fun in the hotel room. No need for toys. :) I had to write a paper on the Winchester House in one of my English classes ... I second you on Sarah being a pycho. I would've loved to visit it too! Anyway, I am glad you got to spend time with your fam!

The Evers said...

Love your fun life. I swear we may decide where to start a practice based on where you are. We love you that much:) I love that you saw Allan and Danielle! Fun! I love Ollies hat too, I need a boy so I can put him in a cute hat like that! Fun fun trip!

Mac and Charms said...

Ginny, Ollie is so cute!!! I think he looks like his mommy...