Sunday, September 27, 2009

Big Sur Trail Run

This weekend Jason, his Dad and I participated in the Big Sur Trail Marathon, Half Marathon, and 5 mile run. We are lucky to have parents who all made an effort to come along with us and support us. We left Friday afternoon for the 2 hour drive south to Big Sur. Along the way we stopped in Monterey to enjoy some fresh produce, and some amazing scenery. Friday night we stayed in and made delicious spaghetti in our little cabin.
Race Day: Jason, John and I left a little early to get there and get ready. This is a REALLY small race (limited to only 300 participants) so it was pretty laid back compared to some of the races Jason has done. John and I ran the 5 mile distance, while Jason ran the half marathon. He was slated to run the marathon but opted against it since he is doing a Half Ironman Triathlon next weekend (I think he made the right decision). Jason started the half marathon around 9:25 and we started our race around 9:30am. We were told ahead of time that this is an extremely tough course...ummm understatement of the century. Jason had over 300o feet of climbing on his run and John and I gained about 1,000 feet of elevation on our 5 mile run. It was BRUTAL, for those who have lived in Provo imagine running up and back from the 'Y'. The first half of the run I was cursing Jason's name for not warning me appropriately (although I don't think he really understood either). I had to walk a little which I was disappointed about until I saw everyone around me walking too. The second half was AMAZING. I felt great, and I actually enjoyed the scenery and being outside. It was really nice to finish with my parents cheering me on. It was a great first race. My next goal is a 10k (or 7.3 miles).

I won't post our times here, because due to the difficulty of the course they don't sound very impressive and they are definitely longer than the goals we had set for ourselves. But I will still do a little bragging :) Remember this was a very small race. But Jason is so amazing and came in 7th out of the 170 people who ran the half marathon. He also came in 3rd for his age group, so he will be receiving a medal. John (Jason's dad) came in 7th out of the 50 people who ran the 5 mile race, and he was 1st in his age group. I came in 14th out of 50 and I was 1st in my age group so I get a medal too!! I was pretty excited considering it was my first race. Obviously we never thought we would actually win something so it was kind of fun to do well. I think I will only run small races in the future :)
The fog off the ocean was so thick here, it looked like we were above the clouds. Ollie was SO loved with both sets of Grandparents doting over him all weekend.
Family picture.
Ollie had a lot of fun playing in the cooler.
Jason and I before the race.
All the runners, Saturday morning before the race.
Ollie loves to sit on the couch like a big boy.
Walking up to start our races.
Jason starting.
Ollie sitting on Poppa Wursten's shoulders.
John finishing up.
Ollie napped with Grandma Miller. This is how he was when I finished....so excited to cheer me on :)
Right after I finished (hence the really red face, which I inherit from my Mom, thanks a lot).
All of us at the end, feeling good.
So I am sometimes a little slow and while packing I grabbed two different black flip flops, both for the right foot, I wore them anyway.
Hanging out at the little creek by our cabin.
Ollie loved it (although you can't tell by his face).
On a walk with Grandpa.
Saturday night we went to this cool restaurant with an AMAZING ocean view, it was beautiful and the restaurant had a really cool vibe. After dinner we came back and played Taboo, it was fun, the girls won!
My parents.
The whole group.
Ollie loved playing outside in the dirt and climbing up and down the cabin's front steps.
Leaving Sunday morning. It was a great weekend. A big triumph for me since I am not much of a runner, and so fun hanging out with our families.
Ollie asleep and worn out from a long weekend away. He is such a funny kid.

10 comments:

Megan said...

What an awesome accomplishment, Gin!!! Not to sound lame or anything...but seriously, I'm really proud of you, girl! It's especially awesome that all 3 of you earned medals. Congratulations to you all!

t.t.turner said...

Totally can relate to the mismatched shoes. What a race - so beautiful! Congratulations! Ollie is getting so big, and I love that last picture.

The White Family said...

I love looking at your blog, just so you know!!

The1stdaughter said...

That's awesome you guys!

By the way...did you know that Alan and I and the kiddos live in San Luis Obispo now? And that it is about 10 minutes away from Arroyo Grande? So, we want to see you guys! Email me! daniellems78 at gmail dot com.

Also, Alan is planning on running his first half marathon in November so he could use some tips from Jason I'm sure!

Chris said...

if you're already looking for your next event, there's a relaxing metric century (cycling) in Sacramento that looks fun in October!

The Evers said...

GOOD JOB! I would be impressed if you walked the whole 5 miles! I was so excited to see you pictures! LOP triathalon here we come:) Miss you bffs!

SHO'NUF said...

Congratulations you guys that's AWESOME! As soon as i get this stupid boot off, I have too jump back on the band wagon...

Meradith said...

Ginny! Yes we women must band together when it comes to issues of hormones. I love when other women talk about mood swings and emotions in front of Jason, I'm always like, "See?!?!?" Read this story from my sisters blog. http://vanessaandsam.blogspot.com/2009/02/think-i-might-be-pms.html
It's a goodie, but that picture is not actually her haha.

Congrats on this race! That is impressive! That is such a gorgeous area, I love Monterrey and Big Sur. Glad you were able to enjoy it even though you didn't do the time you were hoping for. But honestly, climbing 1,000 feet? Who the crap WOULD do the time they thought if that was an unexpected surprise? Good for you. And yes, the girls always win in Taboo. Wonder why that is.

Dan and Ashley said...

Way to go you guys!! Looks like a blast. We can't wait until your race this spring in SD!!!

Ollie is so cute and looking so grown up! I love all his hair. Can't wait to meet him.

Letty said...

I inherited the red face thing from Mom too. It sucks.