Monday, February 16, 2009

Tour of California

Today we went and watched the finish of the second leg of the Tour of California. It is a bike race, kind of like the Tour de France of America (but not as popular). This leg started in Sausalito and ended in Santa Cruz a total distance of 115 miles. Since Santa Cruz is only about 25 minutes from our house we decided to go. It was fun, although I can see why cycling isn't really a spectator sport. We waited for quite a while to see the cyclists shoot by us in about 2 seconds. But it was cool for Jason since he loves cycling and what not. Ollie was SUCH a trooper. We are so lucky we get to do these sort of things with a baby, he makes it so easy.

Waiting for the riders to come by

Jason and Ollie at the finish line

Lance Armstrong (in the yellow)

We went home this weekend, which was nice because we had a babysitter so we could go out for Valentines day. Jason took me to a yummy Thai restaurant and then he took me to some of the places that were significant to us when we were dating ;-) While we were doing that we drove by a bowling alley and decided to bowl a couple games. It was really fun. Jason is pretty good (he took a bowling class in college), he scored a 199 one game, pretty impressive. But our Valentines day doesn't end there. Apparently the real date is this Friday, Jason has a surprise for me, so I am looking forward to that. I'm lame and didn't do anything for Jason, he told me Valentines day is for the girl so not to (I shouldn't have listened to him, but I did). I don't feel that bad though since he got to see his race today and he just signed up for a half Ironman Triathlon (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run). He will be competing in that May 2nd. I think he is crazy, but also really cool, not many people can do that.

3 comments:

Tia said...

I was surprised how much I enjoyed cycling during the olympics, but I think it was only because the camera was following them the whole way and I saw more than 2 seconds. Good for you and listening to you husband about Valentines, let him spoil you if he wants :)

bren said...

Thats funny, it seems like a lot of guys complain that its not just a holiday for the girls. Well, the guys on the Tyra Banks show, that is. :) I know, LAME that I actually watched that.

Well, I wonder what your surprise is going to be this weekend?

Jessica Martiele said...

You'd better fill us in by the end of the weekend! :) (Everyone's curious now!) And any man who can run 13 miles, let alone swim and bike, is a crazy-cool kinda guy.

By the way, LET him spoil you! You stinking GAVE BIRTH just a few months back, and THEN wound up RIGHT BACK in the hospital! I believe there is actually some serious spoiling in order! :)