Wednesday, July 07, 2010

4th of July

We had a really fun 4th of July weekend.  Normally we go home and spend the 4th with our families, but they are all out of town so we hung around here, and it was so nice.  We started the weekend off Friday with dinner in Los Gatos and meeting Andy and Marissa for a little time at the Apple store and frozen yogurt...yum.  Saturday morning our church had a little 4th of July program and breakfast.  We have never been able to go so we were excited.  We then went to Jason's favorite store, Sports Basement (a discounted REI) to test out some double strollers.  From there it was to the farmers market, I love farmers markets.  After that it was naps and grocery shopping and a relaxing evening at home, well relaxing for me, Jason did a million projects.  Sunday we went to church and then BBQ'd with John and Carolyn.  Ollie and Alexander had tons of fun, as always.  That evening we headed to Mountain View to watch the fireworks at the Shoreline Amphitheater.  The San Francisco symphony does a show there with fireworks.  We went to the show our first year here, and it was fun, but this time we decided to sit outside and just watch the fireworks.  We found a nice little park and enjoyed the show from there.  Traffic leaving the show was horrific, so we made some notes for next year.  Monday we started to head to the beach in Santa Cruz, but the friends we were meeting up with called to let us know it was a chilly 58 degrees with wind and fog, gotta love Northern CA beaches.  We headed back and spent a wonderful afternoon swimming with Paul and Amy.  It seriously felt so good to me, I could have stayed in the water ALL DAY.  That night Ben and Carlie smoked some delicious ribs, and Ollie played with his best friend Evie.  It was such a wonderful weekend to spend as a family and with friends.  We head to North Dakota soon, so I'm sure we will have many wild and crazy adventures in the "Forgotten State" to blog about next time. 

 Ollie eating peas from the garden.

 Thursday night we were outside with the neighbors and this guy with a little ice cream cart came by.  Jason was SO excited to get Ollie his first ice cream from the ice cream man.
 Ollie obviously enjoyed his push up pop.  I think Jason regretted his decision when he saw the mess Ollie made with it. 

 We also went on a few family bike rides this weekend.  I'm sure it is pretty entertaining for people to watch me try to ride my bike with my huge belly pretty much sitting on my legs.  But it felt good to get out and Ollie loves it.  Including wearing his "hat".

 Wearing daddy's do-rag (?)

 We moved Ollie to a toddler bed, and this is how we found him about an hour into the first night.  The past two nights he has managed to stay on the bed all through the night, so we are making progress.

 Ollie and Alexander playing in the water.

 Me and Carolyn.

 Ollie sporting his new reusable swim diaper.  He was having lots of fun until he tripped and fell completely in the water, it was really funny/sad.

 The fam, getting ready to watch the fireworks.  

 "Dad, why does she always have that camera pointed at me?"

 "Ok, I'll give her a little smile, for her efforts."

 We tried to really prepare Ollie for the fireworks, since last year he was a little weary.  We kept telling him they would be really loud with lots of bangs.  I think he was sufficiently prepared, and he really enjoyed the show.  Although it was way past his bed time and he was getting pretty sleepy by the end.  Right after they finished he turned onto his side on the blanket and promptly went to sleep.

 I thought this was funny.  On Sunday Jason asked me, "If I make you an exotic fruit medley will you eat it?" "Sure", was my answer, partly because I love fruit and partly because I was interested to see what an "exotic fruit medley" looked like.  Well folks, there you have it.  I guess the mango made it exotic???  It was very delicious. 

We hope everyone had a fun 4th of July.  I must say I was pretty emotional all weekend, I don't know if it is the pregnancy or just the fact that I love this country and am so grateful to have been born here (probably a combination).  I am aware of the sacrifices many have made and continue to make to enable us to live in this free country and I am so grateful.

6 comments:

Megan said...

You have the sweetest family! Both of your boys are so lucky to have you, and I'm pretty sure that you feel lucky to have them, too, of course. The 'exotic fruit medley' made me laugh out loud! But you're right... fruit is the bomb!!! Your Independence Day looks like it was a grand ole' time... and seeing Ollie with his friends really makes me wish that we lived by each other so that he and Willow could play. I really think that you guys should come up for a visit... it's very pretty! Then next summer, (once your little is older), we should all go camping!!

Letty said...

Ok the picture of just Ollie Jason is in the background and I was laughing so hard. He looks kinda creepy. I cannot wait to see you guys soon! And I am so excited for Baby Miller #2!

bren said...

You look so cute!

Stacie said...

ha ha Letty, he really does! Such cute pictures Gin and I might add that Ollie looks so much like Jason to me. I think it's also about time for a pregnancy updizzle. I want to second that when I say I love this country. I always get kind of choked up during the fireworks too just thinking about all the great freedoms we have living in the US.

The Clarks said...

OK- your little guy is the cutest thing in the world! I love the pic with the hat on him! ;D Hope you are all doing great!

The Burtons said...

It looks like you had a fun fourth of July. You look so good, I can't believe you are going to have a baby soon!