Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Emergency Preparedness

Jason suggested that I name this post something along the lines of 'bring it on' or 'we're ready for anything' but being the superstitious person that I am, I didn't want to jinx us. Jason has been on an Emergency preparedness kick lately and today one more piece of the plan arrived. These 6 containers have enough food to last us both for 3 months. We purchased them through The Ready Project and got a really good price ($500) due to a promotion they are running right now, and discount coupon 62316 (in case anyone else is interested). We also got a cooking stove, a water purifier, a lantern, and lots of propane bottles. We will soon add a shelf reliance food organizer, and another gun (he thinks he has fooled me into believing the gun is part of emergency preparedness, I'm pretty sure it is just Obama presidency preparedness).

10 comments:

Shelley Brown said...

So Gin how much did each one cost in the end?

Miller Family said...

I'll post it here in case anyone else wants to know. We ended up pay about $83 each, but that was with the promotion and we didn't have to pay tax I guess cause we don't live in Utah. Normally they are $100 each.

Alicia said...

That is a really good idea...I'll have to talk to Wade about that.

Lori said...

First off, great job getting your food storage, that's a great accomplishment.

Second (random)... i just want to tell you that i really miss you guys. I dont like that you dont live here anymore. I keep thinking "we need to do something with jason and ginny" and i get all bummed out that we cant.

~Ashley Dawn Photography~ said...

thats awesome! :) I need to go through all of ours... :S it is all in closets and weird places... I need to get the kitchen organized... but I am afraid to think how long that would take... :(

bren said...

Thats so smart. We actually have one of those emergency buckets that last a month, I believe. We need to start stocking up because I agree with you with the obama presidency preparedness.

The Evers said...

The title of your post got me really excited! I love all this stuff too! I am way jealous, you guys are smart! I have always felt really strongly about emergency preparedness! Way to go! As soon as we can, we are doing this too!

Unknown said...

Great post! Another great resource for purchasing long term food storage is www.shelfreliance.com...not only do they sell shelving solutions, they also sell food. They are always offering some kind of promotion--I think right now you can save up to 30% off Thrive food--which is super yummy, high quality food!!

Jessica Martiele said...

I want to do this SOOOO bad, but we just don't bloody have ROOM in this teeny, super-packed, 4-person apartment. We're hoping the world doesn't end before we buy a house (hopefull next year). By the way, this was one of those "oh, how cool!" posts...until I got to the end (the part about Obama). Let's just say, I'm still laughing. :) Thanks!

Megan said...

Amen, Gin. Chris and I have been talking about this soo much, and having FHE's with my Mom, Claire and Grandma about this as well. Thanks for the awesome post! And the gun thing...yes, I completly agree with you...we now need to be prepared for how Obama thinks this country should be run. My older sister, Amber, and her husband have one of the biggest gun stores in Las Vegas and I was talking to her about purchasing a couple of hand guns from her.