Friday, January 12, 2007

Cars

Tonight we attended a yearly Auto Expo. This is our third year going, it is really fun. All new cars are on display for you to check out, sit in and gawk over.

Being that Jason is very into cars, the topic comes up fairly frequently in our home. Tonight I realized that Jason and I will never see eye to eye when it comes to picking out a car. Besides the Toyota Prius, which we are both huge fans of, there was not one car that we could agree on possibly getting in the future. Jason wants a fast car. He doesn't care about the features, color, comfort etc, he just wants a car that is the very best at something. He doesn't like cars that are mediocre at everything. For example he loves the Toyota Prius because it is the very best at fuel economy, or the Surbaru WRX STI because it is the best performance for the price. He is very passionate about this. I appreciate his passion, I think it is one of the things I love most about him, but I cannot understand why I need a car that goes from 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds when I am taking the kids to school or soccer practice. Tonight we sat in a WRX and "discussed" this for a while, and I have come to the conclusion that I will never understand his need for a fast car, but I love him so I will get my Prius and he can have a WRX.

Jasons side of the argument:
Mediocrity has taken over our society, you see it in everything from our cars, to our computers, to the food we eat. I like to find the better things in life, the ones that stand out from the crowd. I use a Mac because I don't simply want a crappy Dell that gets the job done, I want a computer that I love to use and own, I want something of superior quality, design, and functionality. I don't feel this way about everything, and I'm not arguing that everyone should be passionate about cars or computers, but I am, and I would like to explain my reasoning. I hope to never buy a car that is sort of good at everything while at the same time not great at anything. These are the Camrys, Accords, and Corollas, of the world, practical, functional, and down right boring vehicles, like Ginny said, I like cars that excel in their given area. You may argue that the Accords of the world do excel in one thing, practicality, and you would be right, but practicality will never inspire any passion. To sum up my point I refer you to Revelations 3:15-16.

Here are some of the highlights from tonight.

Jason with his favorite car of the night, an Audi RS4
Jared and Shannon Burton with their favorite, a Subaru Outback
Me, with a really cool concept Bronco
Jason and Jared with a Defender 90
A Ferrari F430, it only costs $200,000!

Other favorites to mention:
Jeep Rubicon 4-door
Lexus LS460
Saturn Sky (I know its a Saturn, but this one is really cool)
Pretty much any Subaru

3 comments:

Stacie said...

THat was really funny. I appreciate both sides of the argument and especially the scripture reference. Jason does have a good argument, but I just don't feel the passion for cars like he does. I do, however, feel that way about Macs, which I am typing on as we speak. Anyway, that Bronco is really weird looking gin. It looks really futuristic. Gin, is it hecka cold in UTah right now, I guess it was so cold in Rexburg yesterday that they cancelled school at the school Tammy works at.

Miller Family said...

Yeah it is pretty freezing here too. Todays high is 18 degrees. I miss California!!

bren said...

I like how you both wrote a little somethin on your car post. Rusty and I usually agree on cars except for Subarus. I'm not sure I like the looks of them, but supposedly, they're great cars. I guess I don't care too much about cars as long as they aren't disgusting looking and are reliable. Well, I do like trucks and jeeps tho. That Bronco in your pix is pretty cool looking.,