Sunday, August 01, 2010

Jason the Ironman

Over the weekend we headed to Sonoma County/Napa area so that Jason could participate in the Vineman full distance triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run).  That distance is twice as far as his normal Half-Ironman races so he was a little nervous. Most of both of our families were able to come and support Jason (we missed the Whites, and Mike).  We rented a beautiful 7 acre vineyard in Windsor, Villa Terra Bella.  It was a wonderfully relaxing weekend.  Oliver's 2nd birthday was also on Saturday, so we celebrated it on Friday night so that Saturday could be all about Jason.  Jason did wonderfully in his triathlon.  Aside from a elbow to the nose, and a flat tire at mile 95, things could not have gone better for him.  He was able to keep up his nutrition and pace himself so that he wasn't completely exhausted by the end.  The place we stayed was right along the running course and within a mile of the finish line so we were able to see Jason and cheer him on along the way.  When we weren't cheering for him we were at the pool relaxing.   Jason finished the swim in 1 hour 15 mins, the bike in 6 hours 41 mins and the run in 5 hours for a total of 13 hours and 8 minutes.  He had hoped to finish within the 12th hour, and would have if he hadn't lost 15 minutes changing a flat tire.  Overall he had a great race and considers it a wonderful experience.  He is hardly sore and in fact he is on the roof of our house installing a new antenna right now, so I have a feeling this won't be his last Ironman. I just hope he doesn't plan on doing another one for quite a while, but if he does I'm pretty sure both families would agree that we would be happy to come spend the weekend supporting him in Windsor again. 


Welcome to our home for the weekend.
Within minutes of arriving we were in the pool/hot tub.

Some of us enjoying the hot tub.
 
Jeff and Eric invented a competition to see who could run the furthest on the pool mats. Here is Letty making a good run. I will save myself embarrassment and not post my video clip.

My cute mom.

Jan with her grand kids.
The property had a little playground for kids.
Friday we went to the Francis Ford Coppola Winery.  We had lunch in the restaurant Rustic, followed by a tour that showed how the wine is bottled and packaged.
The production line, it was so interesting.
After the winery we came back and swam.  I seriously love swimming, especially at this point in my pregnancy.
Isn't our nephew Ezra the cutest thing you have ever seen?  He is such a sweet, pleasant baby and we were so glad he and his parents came.
The hot tub is where we spent the majority of our time.  Ollie is not a fan of cold water.
Making posters for Jason.
Ollie warming up in our bed after his shower.
Lasagna dinner Friday night.
Ollie with his Thomas the train cake.  He wasn't quite sure what to think, he just knows that he likes birthdays.

Attempting to get a family picture.

He kept accidentally bumping his foot against his cake, luckily he is flexible.

That is one happy two year old.
Jason finishing the swim and starting the bike ride.
Finishing the bike, about to start the run.

Along the run course, looking good.
Ollie and I ran alongside him for a minute.

My aunt, uncle, and cousins came down Saturday to cheer Jason on.  Here is Ollie and his second cousin Carter playing.

Coming in the home stretch.
Family picture right after the race.  Doesn't he look good??

The excitement wore Carter out.

Jason with most of his supporters.  Jeff left to get a car to pick up Jason and his dad was volunteering at the event.
Jack and Ashley came to support, thanks guys.

Me with my Ironman, and Ollie on the monitor.

Ollie and grandma Wursten.

The property had a main house, a cottage and a couple private rooms.  This is the crew who stayed in the cottage.

Me and Letty.

Michelle and Eric.

My parents got Ollie this shirt.  It says "Your Mom, My Mom"...haha.

Getting a little hot tub time in before we had to leave this morning.

Ollie with both sets of grandparents.
Ollie got lots of great things for his birthday, including this lawn mower.  He loves it.
It was a fabulous weekend.  I had been looking forward to it for so long, I'm sad it is over.  I'm so proud of Jason and the dedication he put into training for this race, I'm also happy it is over so he can can tone down the training.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Wow - Yay Jason! Looks like such a fun and amazing weekend. I love that Jason has a huge smile on his face in the pictures of him competing in the triathlon. But my favorite picture is the one of Ollie licking frosting from his toes. It takes the cake (literally). Oh, and you look great, btw, Ginny.

bren said...

Oh my gosh, that is just unbelievable that anybody can do an ironman, especially in that amount of time. It hurts just thinking about it. Nice job Jason! That's awesome that your families came to support him and that you all hung out together. Looked like tons of fun, and at a beautiful place too. Happy birthday to little Ollie, he is such a cute kid. Hard to believe he's 2! I'm gonna have to get Deacon one of those shirts too, because clearly, I'm like the one on the right. haha Too funny.

Tia said...

What a fun time. Way to go Jason! And a happy birthday to Ollie.

The White Family said...

Wish we could have made it, GO JASON and Happy Birthday Ollie, we love you guys. And PS what is up with dads face in the last pic??

Doyle, Chelsea, Little Miss & Baby on the Way said...

oh my gosh, i don't even know how that race is physically possible. way to go! And Happy Birthday Ollie! I can't believe he's two yrs old already!! we wish we could've gone to the race and cheered jason on. looked fun!!!

t.t.turner said...

What a fun place to rent, and hats off to Jason for the triathlon - that's incredible!

The Evers said...

Oh Jas we are so proud of you once again! Looking at this made me so much more sad then I thought it would! Wish we could have come to cheer you on, but it looks like you had quite the support group! I love all the family pictures and seeing you cute belly Gin! I miss you all terribly!

Lori said...

Oh my goodness, that jason. He's just out to make the rest of us feel lazy and flubby huh. Super congrats to him, that's such an accomplishment. He's such a cool guy and it makes me happy to hear he continues to be cool in cali as well.
You, miss ginny, are looking super cute! I'm lovin' the bump and you seem to be sporting with pride, just as you should. Hearts for the millers!

Tammy said...

There's no way in Hades I would ever do something that crazy, but I'm happy Jason survived and succeded even. Yay! I loved all your pics. Ollie seems like such a good little guy (and Happy Birthday to him too!).

The Henry's said...

I am so impressed!!! I had no clue Jason was an ironman! The place you stayed looks amazing. I can't believe Ollie is 2, he is such a little stud!

Chris said...

i was hiking a 90 mile trail in washington (around mt rainier) and got passed by some runners who told me they were doing it three days. one of them looked like jason and confused me for a minute. congrats on the ironman.