Monday, July 08, 2013

Gackle with Mom and Dad

We rolled into Gackle Sunday evening.  I didn't have much planned for the week because I wanted my parents to see how laid back it is here.  

My parents got a picture of the Gackle sign on the hill coming into town.  It is made of old tires.  

My dad was pretty excited to golf at the Gackle Country Club.  He went and checked it out right away.    On Tuesday he paid $20 for the day and golfed in the morning, the afternoon and again in the evening with a couple of guys he met.  He was a happy camper.



I usually try to make treats to take to the honey plant at least once a week for everyone.  On Monday morning before it got to hot we made banana bars and knoephla soup (a German soup my friend here taught me to make).   When we took the treats to the plant, Jason gave my parents a tour of the whole operation.  Next time they visit, we are going to plan it around extraction time.  We ate lunch at the Tastee Freeze.  It was a little underwhelming because we didn't get our tried and true favorite of fried chicken.  We went back a couple more times for dessert and that never disappoints.  


Monday and Tuesday afternoon we went to the Gackle pool.  My boys LOVE swimming this year and so it has been a lot of fun.  Ollie can touch at the 3ft end of the pool and he has been working on all his jumps.  So far he can do cannon balls, belly flops, helicopter, a spin jump etc.  I love it.  In these pictures he has pretty good form. 



 Monday evening we went out to Dennis and Brenda Mayer's farm.  They use to live next door to Jason when he was a kid here in the summers.  Dennis has tons of cool tractors.  It seems like he has some new gadget to show us each summer.  The boys love playing on all the tractors and I was happy my parents got to meet Dennis and Brenda. We brought out a Kugen pie (another German favorite) for dessert.  It was a lot of fun.







One morning we found some cherries that Jason's dad left on our table for us.  We gobbled them right up, we love cherries.  

 Tuesday afternoon Jason took my parents out into the bees.  I love going in the bees and I get excited when others get to see how it works.  My parents loved it and found it really fascinating.



Tuesday night we ate dinner at Dani's Place, the bar in town.  Lori, the owner, has pizza available every night and on Wednesdays she makes dinner (that isn't pizza).  The Tastee Freeze is closed on Wednesdays so it is nice to have another option.




After dinner, we took the boys to get an ice cream cone.  As you can see by their faces, they were pretty excited.

Every Wednesday I go to Jamestown.  We did all our normal errands, starting with Ollie's gymnastics.  I signed him up for the 'boys only', two hour class this next month.  

Max watching Ollie.  He is a good sport since he is a little too young for the tykes class at this gym.  

After gymnastics we went to the library.  The lady there knows us now and I don't even have to give her my library card anymore.  I really love the Jamestown library.  I had a quick chiropractor appointment and then we picked up some Taco Bell and headed to Frontier Village to see the worlds largest buffalo statue and the only albino buffalo.  Two things that Jamestown is "famous" for.  




Picture by Ollie.


Max trying on hats at the general store. 


After frontier village, we headed to the mall and watched Monsters University.  It was a really cute movie.  Max fell asleep at the beginning of the movie and slept through the majority of it.  Jason met us after the movie and we did our grocery shopping.  They had this huge cart that my mom just HAD to sit in.  


After grocery shopping, my parents took the boys back to Gackle and Jason and I headed over to Walmart to get a few things and then to the Buffalo City Rotisserie Grill.  We ate there last summer and really enjoyed it.  It was nice to get a little alone time in. 

We find lots of these selfies on our camera these days.  It is pretty entertaining.

Thursday was the 4th of July (which I will post about separately).  It was a great day. Friday morning we left to go to Medora (which I will also post about).  Before we left Gackle, my parents went around and took pictures.  

Miller Honey Farms.



Main street.





This church is no longer used as a church, but a duck hunters lodge.

Our little compound.


We always laugh about the $10 reward.






No comments: