Monday, July 16, 2012

The Honey Hub of Gackle - A Cyclists Respite

Posted by Jason

I've always had dreams of one day opening a small bike shop somewhere in California, sometimes opportunity comes knocking in strange ways.

Over the last month we have noticed dozens of touring cyclists passing through Gackle, and they all came into town asking the same questions, where can I shower, eat dinner, do laundry, use wifi, and put up a tent? The problem was that there wasn't a place in Gackle to do all this. So I started talking to a few of the cyclists and discovered that there are three main routes for crossing the US on a bike, the Southern Tier, the Transamerica route, and the Northern Tier. For the last 20 years the Northern Tier went through Northern North Dakota, however with the recent oil boom in ND those roads are no longer safe for cyclists. So about 3 months ago Adventure Cycling (the company who publishes the maps for these routes) changed the Northern Tier route so it passes straight through Gackle ND, this got me thinking...

And it wasn't long before I realized we already had a lot of things in place for opening up a small cyclists oasis here at our house. For example my dad is a partial owner of Honey Stinger nutrition, so I have access to all the nutrition products I could need, and our house has a finished basement with a bathroom, laundry, wifi, and a bedroom, all accessible via a separate entrance from the house.

Fast forward to this week when we officially opened "The Honey Hub of Gackle - A Cyclists Respite". Our first week we have hosted 3 cyclists passing through, it has been really cool hearing their stories and the motivation behind their cross country (or in some cases cross-world) treks.

Is my new business venture going to have us retired at 40? Probably not, especially since I only charge $10 per bed, $2 for laundry, and most cyclists aren't interested in buying many extras due to weight. But at least it will make for some cool experiences for both parties. So next time you are biking across the country make sure you schedule a stop at The Honey Hub of Gackle, it is definitely the coolest bike shop in Gackle.

Arba, our first overnight guest. 

Jessie and her dad making the trip together, it is her second time crossing the US on a bike.
I used my amazing graphic artist skills to create this awesome poster which I hung around town.  I also have large outdoor signs coming this week to put along the highway, but so far most are finding us via internet and word of mouth.
I have a few bike essentials (tube, patch kit, lube, etc) and Honey Stinger nutrition products (waffles, bars, chews, gels) available.

7 comments:

bren said...

That is so cool! What a great idea.

The White Family said...

This project has Jason written all over it. Helping people out while at the same time being able to pick their brain and ask all kinds of questions. I think it's a great idea! Who knows maybe in a few years you'll have a whole house dedicated to boarders. Miss you all very much.

Amy said...

This is TOTALLY cool. Like, I seriously want to bike across America now just so I can stay at the Honey Hub of Gackle. And the name is PERFECT.

Steve Lorenz said...

Thank you for hosting the Honey Hub. I stayed there with two fellow cyclists and we had a wonderful time of rest where we could wash our clothes and take a shower. Steve from New Jersey.

Unknown said...

I am Julian (UK) riding at the moment with Tom (USA), both of us are heading west to east and hope to be in Gackle tomorrow evening (Saturday 18th Aug 2018)

Hope you will have space for us as so many people on the road have told us about the Honey Hub of Gackle!

Unknown said...

Wow...your cyclist respite is incredible! My son is biking from MN to OR and I will be forever grateful that he had your place to stay at overnight while on his travels. As a mom, it gave me some peace of mind.

Jay said...

My daughter, Molly and I stayed at the Honey Hub on Saturday, July 12, 2014 en route on our transam. You were a part of our journey that, to this day, continues to give us hope and optimism about the future of our country. In these difficult times we learned that most people are kind and generous...in your case amazingly so since you weren't even there yet allowed us to enter your open home and enjoy your hospitality. Thank you for setting an example of how to live one's life!
(Here is a link to our blog: "Pupine and BentJay Cross the USA"
www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pupine )